Pages

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

TURTLE PINCUSHIONS


EDIT: I switched out the two top photos as I made him a bigger house.




I am so enjoying the pincushion craze that has been going on, on the web. I decided to jump and try a few of my own too. Here is a little cutie that I made out of scraps. These are making me smile and I hope they make you smile as well. As long as it's an animal etc, it's always adorable....


I made this fat little bugger first after three or four trials and errors. His house seems to be a bit small for him hahahah....anyway,

I wanted a realistic face and I think I captured the turtle face pretty good. I made his shell and body as one piece and then made the cover for the shell seperate. I took a T-pin with a round loop and forced a huge plastic pearl on it and then wired some seed beads in the loop of the pin.

He is definately a snapping turtle with his mean look lol. I rouged his cheeks with crayon and outlined his mouth with a black Identi-pen, two black/green seed beads for his eyes. In this model I made a seam on the bottom and it raised his head and I like that.






I think I want his tail a big longer for the next model.

The next model: Then I decided to make another one with the shell not included with the body to see if I liked it better. I used the fabric from a little embroidered dress for the body. I then made the shell seperate.

The shell is just stuffed a bit and pinned on the turtle so far.


I adjusted this pattern for a longer tail and tried to make the beak longer. I rounded the head a bit more on this one. I still need to adjust the shell, it is still a work in progress.

I didn't put a seam down the bottom like the first one and his head is therefore lower. I like the higher head better.

Here is a pic of the mess made when trying to design your desire lol.

I made about four models and kept adjusting until I got it. I did sleep on it and as usual, I woke up with the plan. This was great fun.

2 comments:

Susie Wolfe said...

Hey Rosy,
Your little snapper is really 'dapper'!! hehehe Great job .... I'll be watching to see what others you come up with. BTW - Doxie was here visiting a couple of weeks ago. We had a ball!
Love,
Susie

Rosy said...

I will post a red one later today Susie and I reddid the shell for Harry as he couldn't get in his small house lol....