Pages

Monday, March 03, 2008


I couldn't help myself today. I was reading on my favorite blog, Fibermania, about Artisian bread. She made this yummy loaf. I didn't buy the book as I had to have the bread now. I did some research and came to the conclusion that in order to make this type of bread, two things had to happen. The way the dough is mixed and the way it is baked.
I took the basics and did my thing. The main thing with the artisian bread is a very crusty crust and lots of holes in the bread to make it airy. So what you do is put the flour in the bowl, make a well. pour some warm water in the middle, dump some yeast and sugar and stir it up, it's kinda sticky and runny but that's good. I covered it and went out with my friend Gloria. I came back after 3 hours and the dough was all bubbly. I put the rest of the four in, added some ground flax seeds, sunflower whole seeds and a few golden raisens, made one large round loaf ...flung it on my stone and baked it in a 450 degree oven with a pan of hot boiling steaming water on the bottom shelf of the oven.
That also helps with the crust. Well looks like the bread came out great. The two main things to make this type of bread is: the way yu mix it in the beginning and the water on the bottom shelf. The water must be boiling and steaming before you put the bread in and that is what make the crusty crust. Now I waited a whole 15 minutes before I cut into it. It baked perfect and the crust is crusty and it is delicious butttttt there are no holes (I almost wrote ho's ) ahahahahh. I guess I need to let it rise a second time and divide the dough in half so it can have room to grow. more.

No comments: