Pages

Sunday, August 08, 2010

THE UNDERGROUND RAILROAD


A block to recall capture in Africa

I know, I know. Lots of people say it's not true and yada, yada. But I choose to belive that some of it, is true. I wasn't there, so what can I say. I have always loved this quilt and have always wanted to do one for myself and the time is just right.

I purchased the book, Facts and Fabrication , Unraveling the History of Quilts and Slavery by Barbara Brackman. There are 20 blocks in the book, lots of stuff to read and pics etc.

I did a search and found some more blocks that were used in this particular quilt. Each block represents a message or so they say and it makes sense to me.

I have started the quilt with this first block, "Chained Star." It was a bit hairy but doeable. It was very enjoyable for me. I forgot to take pic of the work-up but try with the rest.

I pulled out some civil war fabrics, some Pat Sloane and some of my other stash . I will post some more tomorrow as it's a bit late now.....

No comments: