Pages

Thursday, March 30, 2006

I decided to run a test on my hot cross bun recipe today....
Easter is coming...here are all the ingredients.




Butter creamed and yeast whipped...



yeast and flour all bubbly...



Dough all made into a smoothe ball....



All brushed with egg white and crosses cut....






All baked and drizzeled lightly and I've eaten two already...




Here is the recipe...

HOT CROSS BUNS
Scald 3/4 cup milk, pour into bowl and add 1 tbl. sugar, Cool to lukewarm. Meanwhile dissolve 1 teas. sugar in 1/2 cup lukewarm water and over this sprinkle 1pkg. of yeast, cover and let sit 10 minutes. whip up the yeast with a fork )..add yeast to cooled milk mixture and stir. Add 1 1/2 c. of all purpose flour, beat until smooth. Cover and let rise until light and bubbly (about 45 min)while that is doing it's thing...cream 1/4 cup of butter and 1/2 c. of sugar..add it to the bubbly (when the 45 min are up)...also add..1 beaten egg, 1/2 teas salt, 1/2 teas. cinnamon, dash of cloves, dasg if all spice, 1/4 nutmeg, 1/2 c. golden raisens or currants...add another 2 1/4 c. of flour...work all that in and knead about 5 min and form into a smooth ball and cover and let rise for 1 hour. Punch down the dough and divide in half....divide one half into 9 pieces...make into buns..do the other half ..arrange in greased baking pan and let rise again about 45 min to an hour.Beat 1 egg white with 1 tbl water slightly...brush tops of risen buns...use kitchen sissors or sharp knife to slash the buns with a cross on top (not too deep now)...bake at 350 to 400 for 20 to 30 minutes, depending on your oven. Glaze:1/4 c. sifted icing sugar, 1 tbl milk , 1/4 teas vanilla...mix and drizzel over buns while hot out of the oven. ...it will go into the crosses...this is a very good recipe...save it forever..
__________________

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Rosy, Thanks for the recipe. These are so much better home made than from the store. You're one talented lady. Maybe it's the German thing. I was born there and some things you cook remind me of my Oma's excellent cooking. Brings back nice memories. regards, Dee

Elle said...

Oh wow, those look really yummy!

Deborah Boschert said...

Delicious! My mom made these when I was little... Have a wonderful Easter.

Rosy said...

Rosy says:
Oh gosh, they are sooooo good and I had eaten three before I went to bed...Dee, I had an Oma. I was born in Germany. I kinda like cooking and thank goodness because I don't like to eat out. I will remake them for Easter and maybe a panatoni also. You all have a wonderful Easter too and make some hot cross buns..

Rosy